Essential oil burners and diffusers each differ yet provide the same results. They are there to bring a freshness to the home, to produce a therapeutic aroma, to keep your home smelling fragranced and refreshed.
It is a person’s own choice which one they choose to have in their home and although they both bring these several qualities, they do have a few differences.
In this article, we will be exploring the essential oil burner and the diffuser, picking out their similarities and differences whilst comparing the two.
By the end, it is hoped that this will allow a clearer interpretation of the products.
The Essential Oil Burner
What Is An Essential Oil Burner?
An essential oil burner is a device consisting of an oil burner. Making up the top of the burner is a bowl in which you place drops of essential oil and water.
These liquids are then heated up by a tealight candle which is placed below. As this is heated, this eventually evaporates and turns into vapor which travels throughout the room.
Using An Oil Burner For The First Time
There is plenty of good that comes from using an essential oil burner for the first time and has many qualities that is enough to urge anyone to have one for themselves, but it is important to understand the right way to use it.
There are many who view essential oil burners as candles, but this is not the case.
The tealight used in the burner is used to heat up the oil and create an aromatic vapor and although this may be a simple task, many are prone to making mistakes.
Do Not Boil Your Essential Oil
It is important not to let your essential oils burn under the tealight. This will not allow the therapeutic effects to work and you may end up damaging the burner itself.
To ensure that you are not boiling the oils, make sure that the candle is at least 6 cm away from the bottom of the oil holder – this will allow for an effective use.
Keep On A Heat Proof Surface
You cannot simply place your essential oil burner on any surface. You have to make sure that it is a surface that will not get ruined/you don’t mind leaving a hot object on.
As the burner involves heating up, it is possible that the surface it is on will heat up too. Be sure to consider this before purchasing.
Do Not Overuse Your Burner
Unlike other scented items, essential oil burners cannot be used for long periods of time. It is important not to overuse the burner; only have your burner active for no longer than 40 minutes.
If you were to have the burner active for too long, this can cause headache due to the fumes.
Cleaning Your Essential Oil Burner
It can be easy to push the thought of cleaning behind you, especially when it comes to your burner, however it is a necessary part of owning one of these.
The cleaning process is very simple. All that is required is a clean cloth and some liquid detergent.
Simply wait for your oil burner to cool off before dampening your cloth with the liquid detergent. Using the cloth, wipe down the burner and be sure to work the oil well.
If you are finding the oil difficult to remove, use a baking soda and water mix and scrub well. Make sure to keep on top of this by cleaning regularly.
What Is A Diffuser?
A diffuser is a device used to spread aromatic fragrance around the room. These come in all different shapes and sizes and create this fragrance in different ways depending on type.
Types Of Diffusers
There are many types of diffusers out there to choose from. They each differ in appearance and functionality however all end with the same final results.
What you choose will not have an effect on the end product but is merely dependent on how you prefer to use your device.
A reed diffuser consists of a bottle filled with fragrance oil. In this bottle are placed reeds/wooden sticks to soak up the oil and perfume its surrounding area.
This is a diffuser which is made to last long and which requires little maintenance. The bottle stays filled with liquid and all that is needed is to rotate/switch out the reeds.
A water diffuser is a basin which is filled with water and an essential oil of your choice. This mix comes out of the basin as a mist and is best served for larger rooms.
It is necessary to clean out the diffuser, especially if you are wanting to change scents. This will allow the oils to come out clean and pure, having the best effects.
A nebulizer diffuser is an electrical device which pumps out essential oil through a small hole. This essential oil comes out as a stream of high pressure air which makes its way around the room.
This type of diffuser is one that is very popular amongst people as it is easy and doesn’t require any manual labor. The only time it does need to be touched is when the diffuser needs a refill.
Essential Oil Burner Vs Diffuser: A Comparison
Essential oil burners and diffusers are very similar yet hold different ways of functioning. At the end, the user will always come out with the same outcome.
What splits these two devices apart is personal preference. Some prefer to go down the traditional route and use their hands whilst others prefer to let a diffuser work its magic on its own – there is no right or wrong.
If you are someone who is new to the scene and are wanting to try these out, this is the right place to be.
It can be difficult, especially for someone not familiar with the two devices, to decide which one is best – oil burner or diffuser.
Here, we will be looking at them both in detail, exploring their features as well as their pros and cons.
Diffusers and essential oil burners each bring a number of different features to the table. These features are what split one from the other and is what makes them unique.
- Needs power – electricity is needed for the diffuser to work so it is important to have a socket spare or batteries in order for the diffuser to function.
- Can be used in large spaces – this is ideal for business owners who wish to brighten up the environment. Guests will be welcomed with a fresh smell and aroma.
- Lasts long – compared to oil burners, diffusers can produce that desired aroma for long periods of time without having to consider the time.
- Produces an intense aroma – as these are powered by electrical components, the aroma it produces will naturally be much stronger, producing an intense scent.
An Essential Oil Burner
- Is affordable – essential oil burners are much cheaper than diffusers making them an affordable option to consider.
- Is easy to clean – the cleaning process is not difficult as all that is needed is a cloth and liquid detergent to wipe down the exterior.
- Hold tradition – this is an option for someone who opts for the traditional way of purification. Whilst diffusers use power to generate their oils, oil burners require the help of a candle to create those aromatic effects.
- Made from natural materials – as it holds tradition, it is clear that it would be made using natural materials to generate the purest results.
Pros and Cons of Using Essential Oils
People have been introducing essential oils into their homes for many years, but why is this the case?
You could argue that it is to make their home smell nice, or maybe it is because they are wanting to hop on the trend since “everyone’s doing it”.
In order to figure out whether you are someone who needs to be using essential oils, refer to this list of pros and cons.
- Versatility – one of the biggest pros of using essential oils is the versatility it gives you. Changing the scent is an easy task and this gives you the freedom to experiment with oils. Simply add a few drops of oil and change the scent. If you are using a powered device, change the spray.
- Easy – another pro is its ease. No matter your age or ability, anyone is able to use these devices whether that is the oil burner or the diffuser. With a burner, simply light your tealight; with a diffuser, let it do the work for you.
- Freshness – with essential oils in your home you will instantly be adding a freshness to the air that can’t be produced by anything else.
- Health benefits – based on medical research, it has been discovered that essential oils have many health benefits. For example, it has been known to reduce pain, nausea, anxiety, depression and plenty more. As well as this, it can help you breathe better and better an individual’s mood.
- Allergies – it is possible for a person to have an allergic reaction to the essential oils without knowing. If you notice any sudden changes which are of concern, this could be the cause of the essential oils. It is worth contacting your doctor if you feel the need to.
- Expensive – depending on what you choose, diffuser or burner, it can be expensive. With essential oils continuing to grow in popularity, prices will naturally grow too. It is important to consider alternative options when searching for the best essential oils.
- Confusing – with so many different types of diffusers to choose from and the traditional burner, this can be confusing to someone unfamiliar. Many do not know where to start and find the complicated aspect off-putting.
Types Of Essential Oils
Each essential oil holds a unique fragrance catered to all, and along with these scents are benefits associated with them.
As we inhale the aromas produced by the essential oils, that is stimulating an area in the brain which makes us respond in a certain way; for example, our behavior can change.
Below we will be listing some of the most popular essential oils out there.
- Jasmine – for childbirth, depression and libido.
- Bergamot – helps to soothe skin conditions such as eczema.
- Lavender – a stress reliever.
- Rose – reduces anxiety and improves a person’s mood.
- Tea Tree – boosts a person’s immunity, fights infections.
Alternative Ways To Use Essential Oils
Not everyone chooses to use essential oils the traditional way. Although many do use diffusers and oil burners, this is not the only method out there.
There are many ways to produce a beautiful aromatic fragrance without spending too much money on the equipment needed.
Using Your Hands
One way that people find comfort is to take a drop of oil in the palm of their hands, rub them together and inhale the scent.
By doing this they are benefitting from the positive effects of the oil and are keeping the fragrance close to them.
Do you have a favorite stuffed animal that you can’t bear to live without? Try putting some essential oil onto it using spray or dropping it onto the stuffed animal.
By doing this you will always be comforted by the aroma it gives off.
Turn Into Sprays
There is an option to turn your essential oils into sprays. Use these sprays to spray the fragrance around your room whenever you desire. These are very quick and easy to make and will last long.
After a long day there is nothing better than sinking into a warm and much needed bath. What makes this even better is to fill your bath with a sizzling bath bomb made from scratch using essential oils.
This will be sure to get you relaxed and ready for the day ahead.
A facial steamer is another good method to feel the effects of the essential oils.
Simply pour hot water into a bowl, add in some drops of essential oil of your choosing and place your head directly above the bowl being sure to cover with a towel. Inhale deeply and allow the fresh fumes to take effect.
Toilet Paper Diffuser
This one is a unique idea but is very effective. Take your roll of toilet paper and place some drops of essential oil onto the cardboard roll.
Every time someone uses the toilet paper, the fresh fumes will radiate, filling the room and their nose.
In this article we have explored the essential oil burner and the diffuser, looking at the two and comparing one with the other.
From this, we have discovered that there are many differences even though they both produce the same results – a fresh aromatic environment.
The main difference between diffusers and oil burners is the functionality behind it. whilst diffusers rely on power and electricity to function, essential oil burners are completely manual.
Instead of pressing a button, a tea light is needed to heat up the essential oil and generate a fragranced space.
It should also be noted that both essential oil burners and diffusers are not for everyone. These products come with a variety of pros and cons such as its versatility, its expense and its efficiency.
Although not everyone opts for essential oils in their home, they do come with a variety of health benefits.
By using essential oils you are essentially creating a pleasant space filled with good energy and this good energy produces results.
Use jasmine and see the impact it has on your mental health, use lavender and watch as your stress diminishes, use rose and see an improvement in your mood.
Overall, there is no right or wrong when it comes to choosing – some prefer oil burners whilst others favor diffusers. However, this is not as important as the effect it has on you in the end.
Watch your mood and health change by introducing essential oils into your home. Allow your home to smell fragranced and feel positive.