An all-natural sunscreen is a great way to stay protected from sunburn and UV rays. But conventional sunscreen does not do that. It actually blocks vitamin D, which is an essential thing that we as humans need to thrive.
Sunscreen is an essential household item we have all used at one time or another. It is something that is designed to protect us from UV rays and sunburn. Lack of sunscreen can result in bad sunburn and also skin cancer if you are not careful.
But, do you sometimes worry about all those chemicals in your commercial sunscreen? Do you worry that it does more harm than good?
If you have been doing your research, you will know that sunscreen does its job a little too well. Yes, it blocks the UV rays and protects your skin, but it also stops your body from being able to absorb vitamin D, which is an essential vitamin that we need to be able to live long healthy lives.
The clear answer to this predicament is to create our own sunblock. One that is all-natural and has no chemicals in it that will block vitamin D from being absorbed. So, in this article, we are going to look at several recipes you can follow from the comfort of your own home.
But before we do that, why is all-natural sunblock so good for us? Let’s find out.
Why All Natural Sunscreen is the Best
The first and most obvious reason that an all-natural sunscreen is superior to commercial brands is that there are no harsh or harmful chemicals in it. A commercial sunscreen will likely have oxybenzone and octinoxate in it, while an all-natural sunscreen uses natural ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in it, which are much healthier for you.
Not only is a natural sunscreen more healthy, but it also is more environmentally friendly. The lack of toxic chemicals and plastic containers that are used in commercial brands are of course not good for our planet. But if you are making a sunscreen yourself that uses natural ingredients, you are minimizing the toxic pollution and plastic that will be used.
There are so many reasons why a DIY sunscreen is better for you. We just hope that we have to been able to guide you, convince you why you should give it a try.
DIY All Natural Sunscreen Recipes
Okay, it is time to get to the fun part. We have gathered several of the best DIY, all-natural sunscreens on the internet and brought them together for you to try out. So, let us dive right in and take a look at these amazing, life-changing recipes.
This recipe is really simple to do, and you get the added benefit of creating your very own sunscreen that does not block the vitamin D that conventional sunscreens block. This recipe is really effective, and just one batch is sure to last you a year.
The ingredients and equipment that you need are detailed below:
- Mason Jar – Storage
- Cocoa Butter – Add a ¼ Cup
- Avocado, Olive or Almond Oil – Add ½ a Cup
- Coconut Oil -Add ¼ Cup
- Beeswax – Add a ¼ Cup
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide – Add a ¼ Cup
- Essential Oil – Add 15 Drops?tag=isurfing07-20
For this recipe, you will need to take care to follow the instructions, as ‘Our Oily House’ dictates. It is a very simple recipe and something anyone should be able to do easily.
This is the basic method you should follow:
- Put the beeswax, avocado oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter in a double boiler, or place all of these ingredients in a glass bowl and put it on over a pot that is filled with boiling water.
- Wait until all the ingredients are melted before you take it off the double boiler or take your glass bowl off the boiling water in the pot.
- Let the ingredients cool and make sure to whisk it every so often. This helps mix everything together and allows you to cool it down faster.
- Next, you will need to add the zinc oxide into the mixture. At this point, you can add the essential oils if you have decided that you want to add them. But this is optional.
- Mix all the ingredients together, using a whisk will be the best way to do this. Once everything is nicely mixed together, you can move on to the final step.
- Using a spatula or a spoon, the final step is to pour your mixture into a storage container, and you will be ready to use your very own all-natural sunscreen.
The ‘Our Oily House’ recipe is super simple to do, as long as you have the right ingredients you cannot fail. We certainly loved using this product, and it worked a treat. It is a great feeling knowing exactly what is in your sunscreen and of course having a product that protects you and allows you to get all the vitamin D you could need to thrive.
This is a great sunscreen if you want a product that is going to protect your skin from sunburn and also allow your body to absorb vitamin D. It is not waterproof, so if you have plans to go swimming, this will not be a good DIY sunscreen to make.
The ingredients you will require to make this sunscreen are as follows:
- Coconut Oil – Add a ¼ Cup
- Beeswax Pellets – Add a ¼ Cup
- Almond Oil or Olive Oil – Add a ½ Cup
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil – Add 1 tsp
- Carrot Seed Oil – Add 1 tsp
- Shea Butter – Add 2 Tbsp
- Zinc Oxide – Add 2 Tbsp
- Essential Oils – Add a Few Drops
As with all of these recipes, there are of course instructions to follow, and it is important to make sure that you do exactly as the recipe suggests for the best results. If you would like more detail, you should check out the Wellness Mama, where we found this recipe.
This is the basic method you will need to follow to make this natural sunscreen:
- Put everything except the zinc oxide in a large glass jar. Once everything is in the jar, put the lid on loosely before setting it aside to get a saucepan or pot.
- Fill a saucepan or pot and put a couple of inches of water inside before you put it on the stove at a medium heat.
- Place the jar in the hot water, making sure that the lid is on. Make sure to stir or shake the contents of the jar every so often to mix the oils together.
- Once all the oils and beeswax have melted, remove the jar from the water. Add the zinc oxide and stir it into the rest of the ingredients. Make sure everything has mixed well before moving on.
- Finally, as the mixture cools, stir it once in a while until it is cool enough to be stored. This process also makes sure that the zinc oxide incorporates with the other ingredients. once you are ready, store your new DIY sunblock and store it on a shelf or in the fridge.
Wellness Mama’s sunscreen recipe is super easy to make and from everything we have read about it, this product will work well in protecting your skin from the sun while still allowing your skin to absorb all the vitamins that it needs.
This DIY sunscreen is made up of natural ingredients, is non-toxic, waterproof, and is safe to use around infants or marine wildlife. It really is a fantastic DIY sunscreen that you are sure to get some sue out of if you decide to go with this recipe.
The ingredients you will need for this recipe are as follows:
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide – Add 2 Ounces
- Cocoa Butter – Add 2 Ounces
- Olive Oil or Carrot Seed Oil or Argan Oil – Add 2 Ounces
- Coconut Oil – Add 2 Ounces
- Beeswax – Add 2 Ounces
The recipe created by Bumblebee Apothecary is a really great recipe that you will be able to do without any high-tech equipment. All you require is a saucepan and a heat-safe glass pitcher, along with all the ingredients, of course. On top of that, the method is uncomplicated and should be easy to follow. Below, we have a basic rendition of the Bumblebee Apothecary recipe.
- Prepare your ingredients, weigh everything out and get a glass pitcher that is heat safe. Once you have everything weighed out, set them aside.
- Get a saucepan or pot and put a few inches of hot water in before you put it over the stove. Wait for the water to start simmering before you move on to the next step.
- Put the police oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil in the glass pitcher and place it in the simmering water. As everything starts to melt, make sure to stir well so that all the ingredients combine well.
- Once everything has melted and combined sufficiently, add the zinc oxide until it too is combined into the mixture, and it has begun to cool.
- When you start to notice the mixture thickening but can still be poured, you can decant it into a container that you want to store it in.
- Allow your new sunscreen to cool to room temperature before you put the lid on and store it for later use.
As you have seen, this recipe is really simple and even uses ingredients you will easily be able to get a hold of. It is a really great product that you can make from home and trust to protect your skin while still getting all the vitamin D that you need to thrive.
If you love the sun but hate the chemicals in commercial sunscreens, this is a fantastic recipe that will put your mind at ease. Getting enough sun is important for our health as humans, and these commercial sunscreens block even vitamins that the sun gives us. This is a great sunscreen that will protect your skin from the sun without all the chemicals.
These are the ingredients you will need to make this delightful DIY sunscreen:
- Zinc Oxide Powder – Add 1 Ounce
- Vitamin E Oil – Add 0.1 Ounce
- Coconut Oil – Add 1 Ounce
- Jojoba Oil, Sesame Oil, or Sunflower Oil – Add 0.1 Ounces
- Essential 30 Drops
- Shea Butter – Add 0.8 Ounces
The directions for making this product are super simple and definitely something even an amateur sunscreen maker can do with ease. All you need is a heat-safe glass bowl, a saucepan, and you too can make this lovely sunscreen.
- To begin you should add the shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil into your glass bowl or a double boiler if you have one handy.
- Place your bowl over a saucepan or pot and let the hot water and steam slowly melt your ingredients. Once everything is sufficiently melted and incorporated, you can remove the bowl from the saucepan and take it off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit, stirring every so will help this process. When the mixture is cool, you should put on a mask so that you do not breathe in the fine zinc oxide particles. Add the zinc, vitamin E oil, and essential oil to the mixture and stir again until it is properly incorporated.
- Decant the mixture into a jar and allow it to cool to room temperature before you put the lid on and store it in the refrigerator or on a shelf.
The DIY Natural recipe for sunscreen makes an excellent product that’s sure to impress you. The benefits of having a sunscreen that is not commercially made outweigh the cons.
Just not having potentially toxic chemicals on your skin is reason enough to grab the ingredients and start making your own sunscreen.
This sunscreen is a healthy, safe, and natural alternative to the commercial stuff you buy in your local stores. Everything that goes into this sunscreen is good for your skin, and you can use it for your whole family too. Best of all, homemade sunscreen does not block the beneficial vitamins that the sun’s rays give us every day. All in all, a great natural sunscreen that you can easily make from the comfort of your own home.
These are the ingredients you will need to make this sunscreen:
- Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil or Olive Oil – Add ½ a Cup
- Coconut Oil – Add ½ a Cup
- Beeswax Pastilles – Add 2 Tbsp
- Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter – Add 1 Cup
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide – Add 4 Tbsp
- Essential Oils – Add a Few Drops
- Water – Add 2 Tbsp
The instructions for this recipe are really simple and do not require any expensive or strange tools or ingredients. All the items you will probably have in your home and for ingredients like zinc oxide or beeswax, there are plenty of options online where you can find them.
Let us take a look at the instructions for making this natural sunscreen:
- If you have a double boiler you can use it for the step, but if you do not, you can easily make your own by getting a heat-safe glass bowl and placing it over a pot of simmering hot water. Add the coconut oil, almond oil, shea butter, and beeswax together and allow them to melt. Make sure to stir occasionally so that they combine well.
- Once all the liquid has melted and combined, allow the pot to cool down to room temperature before you put it in the fridge to properly cool for a while.
- When the sunscreen has hardened after about an hour, take it out and get your hand mixer. Use it to mix up the mixture before you add a bit of water, essential oils, and zinc oxide. Whip the mixture for at least five minutes so that the ingredients emulsify.
- Finally, take the mixture out of the jar and put it in your chosen containers so that you can store your new DIY sunscreen for later use.
This is a really great recipe and will yield about 2 cups of sunscreen. More than enough to last you over the summer. Having a toxin and chemical-free sunscreen will change your life, so grab these ingredients and make a start on changing your life. So make sure to try out this sunscreen recipe by My Merry Messy Life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Homemade natural sunscreen sounds absolutely amazing after seeing how beneficial it can be. But if you are anything like us, you will have a bunch of questions about this product.
So, we have decided to answer a few of the most common questions about homemade sunscreen so that you can better understand this DIY product.
What SPF Do Homemade Sunscreens Have?
The answer to this question is complicated, the answer depends on the amount of zinc oxide you add and also what natural SPF your ingredients have. Your average sunscreen recipe would have about 20% zinc oxide.
This means that the sunblock will have an SPF of 20, this is excluding the natural SPF factor that some ingredients like coconut oil have.
How Long Does Homemade Sunscreen Last?
There are a lot of factors that will affect how long your DIY sunscreen will last. The container and what kind of oil you have chosen to use will all be factors in changing the answer to this question. But for the most part, you can estimate that DIY sunscreen will last between 6 months and a year.
If you store it in a dark or cool place, you can keep it for even longer. So, storing it in the fridge or in a dark cabinet will extend your sunblocks’ life.
Which Oil has the Highest SFP?
Carrot seed has the highest SFP, it is also high in antioxidants and has antiseptic properties. Overall, this is a great oil that you could easily utilize in your homemade sunscreen.
That is all for this article, we hope that you have learned a lot about this topic and discovered a sunscreen recipe that you feel will work for you. Make sure to take into account any allergies that you have and find a recipe that uses products that will work well for you.
With that being said, we hope that you have a great day lounging in the sun and wear plenty of your new all-natural sunblock.